Paul is a member of the Governmental Investigations/White Collar Crime and Litigation Practice areas. His practice is devoted to white collar criminal defense, the defense of governmental investigations and regulatory enforcement actions, and a broad array of complex litigation matters. He has extensive experience with investigations and regulatory enforcement actions founded upon allegations of securities fraud and registration violations.
Prior to joining Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla, Paul served as a Deputy Attorney General in the Securities Fraud Prosecution Section of the Office of the Attorney General. As a Deputy Attorney General, he enforced the New Jersey Securities Law in close consultation with the Chief of the New Jersey Bureau of Securities, litigating cases against a host of defendants, including a Ponzi scheme and the institutional issuers of billions of dollars of residential mortgage backed securities. Before his public service, Paul was of counsel at a New York City litigation boutique firm, representing a former specialist for the New York Stock Exchange in a highly complex, multi-defendant criminal matter in the Southern District of New York, as well as in a regulatory enforcement proceeding before the Securities and Exchange Commission. He also spent several years as a member of the Business and Commercial Litigation Group at one of New Jersey’s largest law firms, focusing on insurance coverage matters.
- Member of the New Jersey State Bar Association, Securities Litigation and Regulatory Enforcement Committee
- Member of the C. Willard Heckel Inn of Court
- Member of the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association Compliance and Legal Society
- Member, Monmouth Bar Association
- Member, New York County Lawyers' Association
- Former Faculty Member of the Attorney General Advocacy Institute
Other Professional and Personal Information
- Member of the Board of Trustees at Morris Catholic High School, Denville, New Jersey. Chair of the Development Committee
- Co-Founder of the Non-Profit Crusader Gridiron Club, organizing an annual golf outing since 2004
- New Jersey
- New York
- Federal District Court, District of of New Jersey
- Federal District Court, Southern District of New York
- Federal District Court, Eastern District of New York
- Boston College, J.D. (1999)
- Williams College, B.A. (1993)
Honors & Awards
- Voted a 2018 Monmouth County Top Lawyer, Monmouth Health & Life, November 2018
- Recipient of the 2006 Sister Joan of Arc Award from Morris Catholic High School in recognition of longstanding contributions to alma mater
- Represented an insurance carrier in an international arbitration initiated by a policyholder seeking $90 million of coverage under an excess policy for personal injury claims related to the use of a prescription drug.
- Represented a mortgage bank in a case founded upon allegations of predatory lending.
- Successfully represented a New York Stock Exchange specialist with respect to both a federal criminal indictment and an SEC regulatory enforcement proceeding, helping convince the U.S. Attorney's Office to halt its prosecution.
- Successfully represented the New Jersey Bureau of Securities in a regulatory enforcement action against an Allendale, New Jersey-based biotech company, obtaining a favorable settlement.
- Successfully represented the New Jersey Bureau of Securities in a regulatory enforcement action against a Marlton, New Jersey-based Ponzi Scheme, obtaining a $36 million judgment via a summary judgment motion.
- Successfully represented the New Jersey Bureau of Securities in a regulatory enforcement against a Jersey City, New Jersey-based purported hedge fund, obtaining a $55 million judgment via a summary judgment motion.
- "New Jersey Estate and Trust Litigation," 2006 - Contributor
- “Acting Attorney General Announces Lawsuit Against Credit Suisse Arising From Sale of Over $10 Billion in Troubled Mortgage Backed Securities,” December 18, 2013
- “New Jersey Consumer Affairs’ Bureau of Securities Wins $36.4 Million JudgmentAgainst Operators of Ponzi Scheme That Defrauded Investors,” October 9, 2013
- “New Jersey Attorney General and Division of Consumer Affairs Announce Bureau of Securities Lawsuit Against Bergen County Companies and Their CEO/Managing Member for Alleged Investor Fraud, ” July 19, 2011
- “Bergen County Biotech Companies and Their President/CEO Ordered to Pay More than $11 Million in Restitution and Penalties Under Settlement with New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs’ Bureau of Securities,” May 30, 2011
- "Division of Consumer Affairs and its Bureau of Securities Announce $1.9 Million Settlement with Portuguese Bank," May 19, 2011
- "Financial Fraud: The Continuing Saga Seminar." Served on panel with prominent members of the criminal defense bar and representatives of the United States Attorney's Office, FINRA, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the New Jersey Bureau of Securities at the New Jersey State Bar Association's annual meeting in Atlantc City, NJ, May 2017
- "Deposition Skills Seminar," Faculty Member of the Attorney General Advocacy Institute, April 2014