Peter, Chair of the Government Investigations/White Collar Crime Practice Area, devotes his practice to white collar criminal defense, internal corporate investigations and the defense of governmental investigations. He has experience defending individuals and businesses against allegations of tax fraud, securities fraud, healthcare fraud, mail/wire fraud (including RICO), as well as allegations of public corruption, money laundering and violations of both environmental and antitrust laws.
Peter has been involved in many internal corporate investigations for businesses ranging in size from small family-held companies to large multi-national corporations. These investigations can result from allegations of irregularities in the company's business practices by governmental authorities, employees, or third parties. Peter has enjoyed success in minimizing the company's exposure while assisting in recovery efforts against responsible parties.
- Member, Association of the Federal Bar
- Member, U.S. Attorneys Alumni Association (New Jersey), Past President
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Attorney General's Award for Outstanding Performance (U.S. Department of Justice)
Peter has extensive experience in federal criminal matters and governmental investigations. During his 10 years with the United States Attorney's Office, he held numerous supervisory positions, including Executive Assistant United States Attorney from 1982 through 1985. As the Executive Assistant, he had supervisory responsibility for more than 70 prosecutors in the United States Attorney's Office. During his career in government, he received numerous awards and citations from the Department of Justice and law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and the IRS. He served as a lecturer/instructor at the Department of Justice's Advocacy Institute in Washington, D.C.
Since leaving government service, Peter has devoted his practice, almost exclusively, to white collar criminal defense and governmental investigations. He has previously chaired the criminal practice group for one of the largest firms in New Jersey. He has lectured at a number of professional educational forums.
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Internal Corporate Investigations
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D. (1974)
- St. Lawrence University, B.A. (1967)
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second, Third, Fourth, Ninth and Tenth Circuits
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York