- Real Estate
- Environmental Regulation
- Site Remediation
The University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, 2011
Washington and Lee University, 2006
View as PDF
* PDF is Best Viewed with
United States District Court, District of New Jersey
the Latest Version of Acrobat
Melissa A. Clarke
Melissa represents real estate developers and other clients in environmental and land use matters, including state and federal environmental permitting and regulatory compliance involving wetlands, coastal / CAFRA areas, riparian / tidelands law, flood hazard areas, water and air quality, solid and hazardous waste remediation, and underground storage tank compliance. Melissa has significant experience with related civil and appellate litigation and represents clients before state and federal courts, as well as in alternative dispute resolution forums.
- "New Jersey Supreme Court: State Not Liable under Spill Act for Pre-1977 Discharges," NJ Environmental Law Blog, March 29, 2017
- "Applying Equitable Principles, New Jersey Appellate Division Expands Spill Act Liability," NJ Environmental Law Blog, March 22, 2017
- "New Jersey Supreme Court: Insurers May be Liable for Cleanups Even After Policy Assignment," NJ Environmental Law Blog, February 6, 2017
- Super-Priority and Community Association Liens under UCIOA and other Common Interest Acts, Community Trends, December 2015
- Co-author/editor, NEW JERSEY ENVIRONMENTAL LAW HANDBOOK, 8th ed., Bernan Press (Feb. 2014)
- Co-Author, Closely Held Family Businesses: What Happens When the Family is No Longer Close, Business Law Section Newsletter Vol. 37, No. 2, September 2013
- Co-Author, Computer Related Offenses Act Protects Against Theft of ESI, 214 N.J.L.J. 990 (Dec. 2013)
Other Professional and Personal Information
Prior to joining Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla, P.C., Melissa served as the judicial law clerk to the Honorable Thomas W. Cavanagh, Jr., P.J.Ch. (Ret.).
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association (young lawyers and environmental sections)
- Associate Member, The Justice Stewart G. Pollock Environmental American Inn of Court
- Member, Monmouth County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Member, New Jersey Women's Lawyers Association
Melissa is a graduate of The University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law (J.D. 2011) and Washington and Lee University (B.A. 2006, summa cum laude). During law school, she served as the Executive Articles Editor of the Maryland Journal of International Law. Prior to law school, Melissa was an investigative analyst in the Major Economic Crimes Unit of the Manhattan District Attorney's Office.
Melissa is a Volunteer Ambassador of the New Jersey Sharing Network, a non-profit, federally designated organ procurement organization, and assists NJSN by communicating the life-saving benefits of organ and tissue donation.