Rutgers University School of Law - Newark
View as PDF
* PDF is Best Viewed with
New Jersey, 2010
New York, 2011
U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2010
the Latest Version of Acrobat
Steven P. Gouin
Steven P. Gouin, Esq. is a shareholder of the firm and a member of the firm’s Real Estate, Redevelopment, Land Use, and Renewable Energy practice groups. Across all aspects of his practice, Mr. Gouin strives to provide clients with quick, efficient, and practical solutions to complex problems.
Mr. Gouin regularly represents developers, investors, landowners, and other business interests before municipal planning and zoning boards across the state in connection with site plan, subdivision, and variance applications and other land use matters. Mr. Gouin has a particular expertise in redevelopment matters, including redevelopment area designations, long- and short-term tax exemptions, state incentive programs, and related financial agreements, redevelopment agreements, cross-access easements, and other matters. Mr. Gouin’s renewable energy experience includes the representation of solar power developers (both grid-supply and net-metered) in acquisitions, dispositions, leasing, and other transactional matters, litigation, permitting, approvals, and regulatory efforts. Mr. Gouin also regularly counsels clients in a variety of transactional real estate matters, including property purchases and sales, leasing and landlord/tenant matters; and title and boundary disputes.
- Land use and transactional counsel for solar developer in development and sale of 13+ MW solar facility on closed landfill property in South Brunswick, NJ.
- Transactional counsel for solar developer in sale of 10+ MW solar farm on brownfield site in Old Bridge, NJ.
- Land use and transactional counsel for various solar developers and solar-developing landowners in various municipalities in NJ.
- Land use counsel for designated redeveloper of 500-unit mixed-use redevelopment project in Aberdeen Township.
- Land use counsel for developer of 179-unit market-rate redevelopment housing project in Somerville, NJ
- Land use counsel for developer of 100-unit age-restricted market-rate housing development in Howell, NJ
- Land use counsel for designated redeveloper of proposed mixed use residential/marina facility in Waretown, NJ.
- Land use and transactional counsel for developer of 200+ unit residential development in Stafford Township, NJ
- Redevelopment and land use counsel for redeveloper of Borough of Penns Grove, NJ.
- Transactional and land use counsel for various developers at former Fort Monmouth property in Monmouth County, NJ; obtained site plan approval for Building 2525, negotiated construction contract for CommVault headquarters building in Tinton Falls, negotiated purchase and sale and redevelopment agreements for various properties in Fort Monmouth.
- Represented commercial developer before both zoning board of adjustment and planning board in connection with use variance application and later site plan approval for mixed-use (commercial and residential) development in Readington Township, NJJ
- "Appellate Division Confirms Illegality of Maintenance "Contributions" that Exceed the 15% Cap Permitted by N.J.S.A. 40:55D-53(a)(2)," New Jersey Redevelopment Blog August 27, 2014
- "Will Governor Christie Extend The Moratorium on Non-Residential Development Fees?" New Jersey Redevelopment Blog, July 29, 2014
- "Attention Tenants! Grow-NJ Tax Credits Without Prevailing Wage," NJ Redevelopment Law Blog, July 11, 2014
- "GH&C Attorneys Prevail On Continuing Jurisdiction Of Zoning Board Of Adjustment," June 23, 2014
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, August 2013
- "High Court Overturns Abolition Of COAH," New Jersey Redevelopment Blog, July 10, 2013
- "NJ Senate Passes Open-Space Preservation Amendment," New Jersey Redevelopment Blog, June 26, 2013
- "FEMA Releases New Base Flood Elevation Maps," New Jersey Redevelopment Blog, June 19, 2013
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, April 2013
- "With Many Hurricane Sandy Victims Still Unable to Secure Temporary Housing, Will New Jersey's Age-Restricted Communities Offer Up Vacant Units?," New Jersey Redevelopment Blog, January 15, 2013
- "Handicapped Access: What is an Association's Obligation?,"Community Trends July 2011
- "Lien on Me?," Community Trends June 2011
- "Protecting the Business Purchaser," New Jersey Law Journal April 2011
- "It's About Time! (of Application)," OnSite, CBRA-NJ Newsletter April 2011
- "Renovating New Jersey's Construction Lien Law," Law360.comJanuary 2011
- "Beyond Solar: New Jersey's Commitment to Alternative Energy,"ACC-FOCUS January 2011
- Member, Emerging Leaders Council of the Rutgers Center for Real Estate
- Board of Directors, Metropolitan Builders & Contractors Association of New Jersey
- Board of Directors, Shepherds of Youth Charitable Trust
- Economic Development Committee, Monmouth-Ocean Development Council
- Member, NJ State Bar Association – Land Use Section and Young Lawyers Division
- Member, NJ State Builders Association
- Member, Shore Builders Association of NJ
- Selected by Super Lawyers as a New Jersey Rising Star, 2014-2018
- Speaker, "Land Use and Environmental Due Diligence in Land Acquisition and Financing," Atlantic Builders Convention, April 12, 2018
- "The Growing Trends in Mixed-Use Developments," 2017 Atlantic Builders Convention, April 6, 2017
- "Growing Trends in Mixed-Use Development," NJBA/Atlantic Builders Conference, March 30, 2016
- "What Mayors Need to Know - Dazed on the Dais," 2015 League of Municipalities Conference, November 18, 2015
- "Mandatory Training Seminar for New Board Members," New Jersey Planning Officials, September 21, 2013
- "Municipal Land Use Law Update - Experienced/Advanced Program," New Jersey Planning Officials, April 13, 2013