Steve is a shareholder and member of the firm’s Real Estate and Renewable Energy practice groups. Across all aspects of his practice, Steve strives to provide clients with quick, efficient, and practical solutions to complex problems.Steve regularly represents developers, investors, landowners, and other business interests before municipal planning and zoning boards across the state in connection with site plan, subdivision, and variance applications and other land use matters. He has a particular expertise in redevelopment matters, including redevelopment area designations, long- and short-term tax exemptions, state incentive programs, and related financial agreements, redevelopment agreements, cross-access easements, and other matters. His renewable energy experience includes the representation of solar power developers (both grid-supply and net-metered) in acquisitions, dispositions, leasing, and other transactional matters, litigation, permitting, approvals, and regulatory efforts. Steve also regularly counsels clients in a variety of transactional real estate matters, including property purchases and sales, leasing and landlord/tenant matters; and title and boundary disputes.
- Redevelopment, land use, and transactional counsel for designated redeveloper of former landfill site in Ridgefield Park, NJ proposed to be redeveloped with 1.2 million s.f., 46-story, mixed-use high-rise residential and commercial development.
- Redevelopment and transactional counsel for 170-unit multi-phase redevelopment project in downtown Union Township, including $26.5 million construction loan and long-term tax exemption.
- Redevelopment, land use, and transactional counsel for redeveloper of multi-faceted redevelopment of the Borough of Penns Grove, NJ including multiple long-term tax exemptions and redevelopment area bonds.
- Land use counsel for designated redeveloper of 500-unit, multi-phase mixed-use redevelopment project in Aberdeen Township.
- Redevelopment counsel for developer of 400,000+ s.f. of commercial space in mixed-use redevelopment project in Middletown, NJ.
- Redevelopment counsel for developer of commercial warehouse facility in Irvington, NJ, including negotiation of redevelopment agreement and long-term tax exemption.
- Land use and transactional counsel for developer of 13 MW, $25+ million solar facility on closed landfill site in South Brunswick Township, NJ.
- Transactional counsel for developer of a portfolio of grid-supply solar facilities located throughout NJ with an aggregate value of $150+ million.
- Land use and transactional counsel for developer of mixed-use development in Pohatcong Township, NJ, including a 10MW solar facility, 100-unit residential townhome component, and 100-unit residential single-family component.
- Land use and transactional counsel for developer of mixed-use redevelopment of 140-acre parcel in Hamilton Township, NJ.
- Land use and redevelopment counsel for designated redeveloper of contaminated property in Somerville, NJ to be developed with a 179-unit market-rate multi-family residential development.
- Land use and transactional counsel for developer of 100-unit age-restricted market-rate housing development in Howell, NJ.
- Redevelopment counsel for mixed-use multi-family residential development in Frenchtown, NJ.
- Land use counsel for designated redeveloper of proposed mixed use residential/marina facility in Waretown, NJ.
- Land use and transactional counsel for developer of 200+ unit residential development in Stafford Township, NJ.
- Transactional and land use counsel for various developers at former Fort Monmouth property in Monmouth County, NJ; obtained site plan approval for Building 2525, negotiated construction contract for CommVault headquarters building in Tinton Falls, negotiated purchase and sale and redevelopment agreements for various properties in Fort Monmouth.
- "Appellate Division Confirms Illegality of Maintenance "Contributions" that Exceed the 15% Cap Permitted by N.J.S.A. 40:55D-53(a)(2)," New Jersey Redevelopment Blog August 27, 2014
- "Will Governor Christie Extend The Moratorium on Non-Residential Development Fees?" New Jersey Redevelopment Blog, July 29, 2014
- "Attention Tenants! Grow-NJ Tax Credits Without Prevailing Wage," NJ Redevelopment Law Blog, July 11, 2014
- "GH&C Attorneys Prevail On Continuing Jurisdiction Of Zoning Board Of Adjustment," June 23, 2014
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, August 2013
- "High Court Overturns Abolition Of COAH," New Jersey Redevelopment Blog, July 10, 2013
- "NJ Senate Passes Open-Space Preservation Amendment," New Jersey Redevelopment Blog, June 26, 2013
- "FEMA Releases New Base Flood Elevation Maps," New Jersey Redevelopment Blog, June 19, 2013
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, April 2013
- "With Many Hurricane Sandy Victims Still Unable to Secure Temporary Housing, Will New Jersey's Age-Restricted Communities Offer Up Vacant Units?," New Jersey Redevelopment Blog, January 15, 2013
- "Handicapped Access: What is an Association's Obligation?," Community Trends, July 2011
- "Lien on Me?," Community Trends, June 2011
- "Protecting the Business Purchaser," New Jersey Law Journal, April 2011
- "It's About Time! (of Application)," OnSite, CBRA-NJ Newsletter, April 2011
- "Renovating New Jersey's Construction Lien Law," Law360.com, January 2011
- "Beyond Solar: New Jersey's Commitment to Alternative Energy,"ACC-FOCUS, January 2011
- Member, Emerging Leaders Council of the Rutgers Center for Real Estate
- Board of Directors, Metropolitan Builders & Contractors Association of New Jersey
- Board of Directors, Shepherds of Youth Charitable Trust
- Economic Development Committee, Monmouth-Ocean Development Council
- Member, NJ State Bar Association – Land Use Section and Young Lawyers Division
- Member, NJ State Builders Association
- Member, Shore Builders Association of NJ
- "Rutgers Announces 2018 Center for Real Estate Board Members," NJ Biz, September 24, 2018
- "Howell Planners Approve 100 Apartments," Centraljersey.com, March 16, 2017
- Voted a 2018 Monmouth County Top Lawyer, Monmouth Health & Life, November 2018
- Selected by Super Lawyers as a New Jersey Rising Star, 2014-2018
- Speaker, "Land Use and Environmental Due Diligence in Land Acquisition and Financing," Atlantic Builders Convention, April 12, 2018
- "The Growing Trends in Mixed-Use Developments," 2017 Atlantic Builders Convention, April 6, 2017
- "Growing Trends in Mixed-Use Development," NJBA/Atlantic Builders Conference, March 30, 2016
- "What Mayors Need to Know - Dazed on the Dais," 2015 League of Municipalities Conference, November 18, 2015
- "Mandatory Training Seminar for New Board Members," New Jersey Planning Officials, September 21, 2013
- "Municipal Land Use Law Update - Experienced/Advanced Program," New Jersey Planning Officials, April 13, 2013
- Real Estate
- Land Use & Development Law
- Renewable Energy
- Energy, Climate Change and Public Utilities
- Rutgers University School of Law - Newark, J.D., cum laude (2010)
- Villanova University, B.A. (2007)
- New Jersey, 2010
- New York, 2011
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2010
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Attorneys Selected as 2018 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Attorneys Selected as 2017 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Names Four New Shareholders
- If approved, what would the proposed Open-Space Preservation Amendment do for NJ?
- Eight months after the enactment of the 2012 Solar Act (L. 2012, c. 24), what do we know about NJ's solar industry?
- Michael A. Bruno & Steven P. Gouin Author Legal Q&A on Solar Energy in NJ
- No Adequate Remedy at Law: The Devil's in the Adequacy