Rutgers University School of Law - Newark
View as PDF
* PDF is Best Viewed with
New Jersey, 2010
New York, 2011
U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2010
the Latest Version of Acrobat
Steven P. Gouin
Steven P. Gouin, Esq. is a shareholder of the firm and a member of the firm’s Real Estate, Redevelopment & Land Use, and Renewable Energy practice groups.
Mr. Gouin has represented national homebuilders, institutional developers, investors, landowners, and other business interests before municipal planning and zoning boards across the state in connection with site plan, subdivision, and variance applications and other land use matters. Mr. Gouin’s land use practice extends, when necessary, to representing clients in actions in lieu of prerogative writ before the New Jersey Superior Court and Appellate Division. Mr. Gouin has a particular expertise in redevelopment matters, including redevelopment area designations, long- and short-term tax exemptions, state incentive programs, and related financial agreements, redevelopment agreements, cross-access easements, and other matters.
Mr. Gouin’s renewable energy experience includes the representation of solar power developers (both grid-supply and net-metered) in acquisitions, dispositions, leasing, and other transactional matters, litigation, permitting, approvals, and regulatory efforts.
Finally, Mr. Gouin’s real estate practice includes counseling both buyers and sellers in real estate transactions, commercial landlords and tenants in leasing matters (including landlord/tenant disputes and related litigation), and landowners in title and boundary disputes.
Across all aspects of his practice, Mr. Gouin endeavors to provide his clients with practical, sensible, and cost-effective solutions.
- Obtained Site plan approval for adaptive reuse of Building 2525 in former Fort Monmouth, Tinton Falls, NJ
- Obtained Site plan approval for 179-unit market-rate redevelopment housing project in Somerville, NJ
- Obtained Site plan approval for 100-unit age-restricted market-rate housing development in Howell, NJ
- Counsel for designated redeveloper of proposed "River Walk" mixed-used development in Penns Grove, NJ.
- Counsel for designated redeveloper of proposed residential/marina facility in Waretown, NJ.
- Represented redeveloper of 500-unit redevelopment project before Aberdeen Township Planning Board for various land use approvals.
- Obtained amended preliminary and final major site plan approval for 200+ unit residential development in Stafford Township, NJ and negotiated comprehensive developer’s agreement with Township.
- Represented national home builder before Tinton Falls Borough and Shrewsbury Borough Planning Boards
- Represented commercial developer before both zoning board of adjustment and planning board in connection with use variance application and later site plan approval for mixed-use (commercial and residential) development in Readington Township, NJ
- Represented property owner in ground lease negotiations for 10MW solar facility in Old Bridge, NJ
- Obtained site plan approval for 13.5 MW solar power facility at landfill site in South Brunswick Township, NJ
- Obtained site plan approval for 3 MW net-metered solar power facility in Tinton Falls, NJ
- Represented property owner in Appellate Division litigation and subsequent asset purchase agreement negotiations with prospective solar developer concerning 16.9MW solar facility in Pohatcong, NJ
- "Appellate Division Confirms Illegality of Maintenance "Contributions" that Exceed the 15% Cap Permitted by N.J.S.A. 40:55D-53(a)(2)," New Jersey Redevelopment Blog August 27, 2014
- "Will Governor Christie Extend The Moratorium on Non-Residential Development Fees?" New Jersey Redevelopment Blog, July 29, 2014
- "Attention Tenants! Grow-NJ Tax Credits Without Prevailing Wage," NJ Redevelopment Law Blog, July 11, 2014
- "GH&C Attorneys Prevail On Continuing Jurisdiction Of Zoning Board Of Adjustment," June 23, 2014
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, August 2013
- "High Court Overturns Abolition Of COAH," New Jersey Redevelopment Blog, July 10, 2013
- "NJ Senate Passes Open-Space Preservation Amendment," New Jersey Redevelopment Blog, June 26, 2013
- "FEMA Releases New Base Flood Elevation Maps," New Jersey Redevelopment Blog, June 19, 2013
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, April 2013
- "With Many Hurricane Sandy Victims Still Unable to Secure Temporary Housing, Will New Jersey's Age-Restricted Communities Offer Up Vacant Units?," New Jersey Redevelopment Blog, January 15, 2013
- "Handicapped Access: What is an Association's Obligation?,"Community Trends July 2011
- "Lien on Me?," Community Trends June 2011
- "Protecting the Business Purchaser," New Jersey Law Journal April 2011
- "It's About Time! (of Application)," OnSite, CBRA-NJ Newsletter April 2011
- "Renovating New Jersey's Construction Lien Law," Law360.comJanuary 2011
- "Beyond Solar: New Jersey's Commitment to Alternative Energy,"ACC-FOCUS January 2011
- Board of Directors, Metropolitan Builders & Contractors Association of New Jersey
- Board of Directors, Shepherds of Youth Charitable Trust
- Economic Development Committee, Monmouth-Ocean Development Council
- Member, NJ State Bar Association – Land Use Section and Young Lawyers Division
- Member, NJ State Builders Association
- Member, Shore Builders Association of NJ
- Selected by Super Lawyers as a New Jersey Rising Star, 2014-2017
- "The Growing Trends in Mixed-Use Developments," 2017 Atlantic Builders Convention, April 6, 2017
- "Growing Trends in Mixed-Use Development," NJBA/Atlantic Builders Conference, March 30, 2016
- "What Mayors Need to Know - Dazed on the Dais," 2015 League of Municipalities Conference, November 18, 2015
- "Mandatory Training Seminar for New Board Members," New Jersey Planning Officials, September 21, 2013
- "Municipal Land Use Law Update - Experienced/Advanced Program," New Jersey Planning Officials, April 13, 2013