Giordano Halleran & Ciesla’s tax practice group provides sophisticated and cutting-edge tax advisory services to publicly-traded companies, closely-held businesses, and high net-worth individuals in New Jersey and throughout the U.S.
We advise our clients as to how they can structure their transactions to reduce their tax burdens while complying with federal, state, and local tax laws and regulations.
We also represent our clients before the IRS and state tax authorities – to resolve tax law issues, negotiate settlements, and challenge assessments of interest and penalties.
Additionally, we review tax guidance provided by other industry professionals, and we frequently suggest practical alternatives based upon recent IRS and judicial rulings.
Our attorneys provide tax-related services in the following areas:
- Drafting and negotiating tax provisions in partnership and LLC operating agreements (including series LLC operating agreements);
- Formation and advisory services for hedge funds and private equity funds;
- Structuring purchases and sales of businesses – including earn-outs, installment payment arrangements, and tax-related elections;
- Taxation of stock options, swaps, and other financial derivatives;
- Analyzing the tax consequences of redemptions versus sales of membership interests (or stock) in closely-held businesses;
- Mergers and acquisitions tax considerations;
- N.J. taxation of resident and non-resident corporations and individuals (including part-time residents);
- Tax patent drafting and analysis;
- Non-profits and unrelated business taxable income;
- Trust and estate taxation;
- Transfer pricing;
- Real estate tax considerations;
- Retirement plan (e.g., IRA) rollover issues; and
- Intellectual property sale and licensing tax implications.
March 18, 2014
C. Justin McCarthy and John A. Giunco Author an Article Published in NJBIA's February/March Edition of Dimensions
July 30, 2013
Justin McCarthy Authors Article, "Big Changes for Monmouth Property Tax Assessments"
February 11, 2013
New $25 Million Angel Investor Tax Credit Program to Encourage Early Investment in New Jersey's Innovative and Emerging Technology Businesses