Ari devotes his time to assisting and defending employers with regard to traditional employment issues. He frequently counsels employers for compliance with New Jersey laws and has extensive transactional and litigation experience.
Ari has litigated employment matters throughout the state, having made appearances in almost every Superior Court in New Jersey, as well as before both Federal District Courts in New Jersey and the Federal and State Courts in New York. These actions have involved a diverse range of claims such as wrongful discharge, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, enforcement of non-compete/restrictive covenant provisions and wage and hour disputes. Ari also assists businesses during all stages of Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Division of Civil Rights (DCR), Wage and Hour and Department of Labor (DOL) investigations. In addition to his litigation experience, Ari regularly assists clients with the preparation and review of employment related documents, such as employment agreements, policies and handbooks.
Ari has spoken on numerous occasions to New Jersey businesses regarding employment related issues and is the co-author and regular contributor to the New Jersey Labor and Employment Law Blog, which provides news and updates for employers regarding all labor and employment matters throughout New Jersey.
In addition to his labor and employment law practice, Ari also assists the firm's health care clients, providing counsel to hospitals, physicians, and physician groups in matters, generally involving employment, contract and HIPAA issues.
- Employment Law
- Health Care Law
- Member of the New Jersey State Bar Association
- Vice President, Parker Family Health Center Board of Trustees
Other Professional and Personal InformationPrior to joining the firm, Ari worked at a Monmouth County firm which specializes in educational and labor and employment law related issues. He participated in labor negotiations and often appeared before the Office of Administrative Law.
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D. (2002)
- University of Florida, B.S. (1999)
- Voted a 2018 Monmouth County Top Lawyer, Monmouth Health & Life, November 2018
- Selected by Super Lawyers as a New Jersey Rising Star, 2014-2017
- Four at Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Awarded for Health Care Commentary
- GH&C Labor and Employment Law Team of Ari Burd and Jay Becker Win Summary Judgment in Two Employment Cases Headed to Trial
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Attorneys Selected as 2017 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- DOL Final Overtime Rule Postponed
- What is a Business Associate Agreement and Who is Required to Enter Into One?
- Will all employers have to provide health care to their employees starting January 1, 2014 pursuant to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, commonly referred to as "Obamacare"?
- Can an employer ban its employees from making any comments about it on social networking sites (Facebook, MySpace, Etc)?
- "Supreme Court Grants Employees within the 'Zone of Interests' Standing to Sue for Title VII Retaliation"
- Retaliation Actions Under Title VII, CEPA and LAD
- "NJ Announces Minimum Wage Increase," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, January 21, 2019
- "Do You Have Employees in New York or Do Business with the State of New York? If So, New Sexual Harassment Policy and Training Requirements Now Apply To You." NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, November 15, 2018
- "Are You Ready for NJ's New Paid Sick Leave Law that Goes into Effect on October 29th?" NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, October 9, 2018
- "NJ Raises the Bar for Enforcement of Arbitration Provisions," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, April 6, 2018
- "Potential Game Changing Decision: Extended Leave Not a Reasonable Accommodation," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, October 12, 2017
- "Much to the Satisfaction of Employers Across the State, Governor Christie Vetoes 2 Employment Law Bills," NJ Labor & Employment Blog, August 16, 2017
- "Medical Marijuana in the Workplace," NJ Labor & Employment Blog, May 16, 2017
- "What Should An Employer Do When An Ill or Injured Employee Has No Available Leave?" NJ Labor & Employment Blog, April 7, 2017
- "Dealing with Problem Employees," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, March 2, 2017
- "Morristown Newest Municipality to Require Paid Sick Leave," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, January 17, 2017
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, March 2016
- "An Arbitration Provision in Your Employee Handbook Is Not Enough," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, January 27, 2016
- "Holiday Pay," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, November 19, 2015
- "NLRB Decision to Have Wide Ranging Effect on Franchises & Companies using Staffing Agencies," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, August 28, 2015
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, July 2015
- "NJ Supreme Court Upholds Whistleblower Protections For "Watchdog" Employees," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, July 16, 2015
- "Pre-Employment Drug Testing in NJ," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, May 27, 2015
- "Retention of Employment Records in NJ," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, March 24, 2015
- "Pre-Screening Job Applicants," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, March 18, 2015
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, March 2015
- "NJ Court Further Limits Ability To Classify Workers As Independent Contractors," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, February 18, 2015
- "New Law Requires NJ Employers To Revise Their Hiring Practices or Risk Fines of Up to $10,000 Per Violation," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, February 9, 2015
- "NJ Supreme Court Strengthens Defenses Available to NJ Employers In Sexual Harassment Actions," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, February 13, 2015
- "Snow Emergencies And Employee Compensation," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, January 28, 2015
- "M&A And The ACA," New Jersey Corporate & Securities Law Blog, January 21, 2015
- "The Expensive Consequences of Failing to Create Corporate Documents For Your Practice," NJ Physician Magazine, May 2014
- "Court Rules That Volunteer Rescue Squad is Not Subject to OPRA," NJ Healthcare Law Blog, March 21, 2014
- "Affordable Care Act Requirement For Medium Sized Employers Delayed Again," NJ Healthcare Blog, February 11, 2014
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, January 2014
- "Annual Fee On Insurers To Impact Small Businesses," NJ Healthcare Law Blog, November 26, 2013
- "New Requirements For Providers And Certain Types Of Vendors," NJ Healthcare Law Blog, November 26, 2013
- "October 1, 2013 Affordable Care Act/Obamacare Deadline For Employers of ALL Sizes," NJ Healthcare Law Blog, September 26, 2013
- "Health Care Obligations of Employers Under the Affordable Care Act," NJ Healthcare Law Blog, June 11, 2013
- "Legal Q&A," NJ TechLifeSciNews, June 2013
- "NJ Company to Pay Over 3 Million Dollars For Wage & Hour Violations," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, March 11, 2013
- "GH&C Alert: New FMLA Poster Must Be Posted By March 8, 2013," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, March 4, 2013
- "Facebook Status: You're Fired," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, January 16, 2013
- "Employer's Creative Method to Reduce Overtime Pay Upheld by Federal Court," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, January 9, 2013
- "Restriction of Firearms in the Workplace," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, January 2, 2013
- "Posting By Employer Regarding Pending Legal Action Can Violate CEPA," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, November 15, 2012
- "A Review of the ADAAA Regulations", NJ Labor & Employment Law Quarterly
- "Employment Law - Social Media Update," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, August 12, 2011
- "Supreme Court Grants Employees within the 'Zone of Interests' Standing to Sue for Title VII Retaliation," DRI The Voice Of the Defense Bar
- "What Would you Do? Legal Issues Facing Employers: Independent Contractor or Employee?" NJBIA Seminar, May 13, 2016
- "Documentation, Discipline & Discharge: Investigating & Documenting Misconduct," NJBIA Seminar, March 11, 2016
- "The Implications of the ACA on Small Businesses," GH&C Seminar, March 2015
- "The Implications of the ACA on Small Businesses," CPE Seminar, December 2014
- HIPAA - Compliance and Release of Medical Records, Medical Practice Management Seminar, Cooper University Health Care, November 1, 2013