Mike, co-chair of the Litigation Practice Area, has been certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a civil trial attorney. He devotes his practice primarily to commercial litigation with emphasis in the following areas: professional malpractice, general civil and commercial litigation; insurance litigation; contract and corporate litigation. Mike litigates and tries contested civil cases in state and federal courts including the Third Circuit Court of Appeals and U.S. District Court.
Mike represents policyholders seeking declaratory judgments for insurance coverage under comprehensive general liability, product liability, directors' and officers' liability, professional liability, fire, employee dishonesty, life, health, disability, credit and other insurance policies. The coverage litigation includes claims arising from environmental contamination, wrongful employment termination, construction of multifamily residential homes, workers compensation, underinsured motorists coverage and other claims. He also represents professionals in professional liability actions under their professional liability policies and insureds in premium disputes with insurers.
Mike counsels both plaintiffs and defendants in contractual and corporate disputes including real estate, employment, business, construction and franchise contracts, partnership dissolution, corporate "divorces" and minority shareholder actions.
- Member of the New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member of the Monmouth County Bar Association
- Member of the Board of Trustees for the Ken Tietjen Foundation
Other Professional and Personal InformationMike speaks before trade and professional organizations on topics relating to professional liability, insurance coverage and commercial litigation.
- New Jersey
- Federal District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D. (1984)
- Union College - New York, B.A., cum laude (1981)
- Ranked Band 3 in Insurance Litigation in Chambers USA
- Voted a 2018 Monmouth County Top Lawyer, Monmouth Health & Life, November 2018
- Named The "Woodbridge Area Best Lawyers Insurance Lawyer of the Year" for 2013, 2016 and 2018
- Named as a New Jersey Super Lawyer for 2005, 2007-2019
- AV Preeminent® Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America
- Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Ranked in Chambers USA as a Recognized Practitioner in Insurance Litigation
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Attorneys Selected as 2019 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 22 Attorneys from Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Named to 2019 Best Lawyers® List
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Attorneys Selected as 2018 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Insurer Can't Recoup $9M Payout for Drug Theft: 3rd Circ.
- 22 Attorneys from Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Named to 2018 Best Lawyers® List
- Three Attorneys from Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Named 2018 Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" in Woodbridge Area
- Court Affirms Expert Needed for Proximate Cause in Legal Mal
- Ten Giordano Attorneys Ranked in 2017 Chambers USA
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Attorneys Selected as 2017 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- "Insurer Can't Revive Legal Mal Claim Against County Lawyer"
- "Fed. Courts Move to Speed Up Hurricane Sandy Litigation"
- Twenty One Lawyers From Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Selected For Inclusion In Best Lawyers in America 2014 List
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla To Receive 2013 Pro-Bono Service Award By Volunteer Lawyers For Justice
- Michael J. Canning Quoted in NJ Law Journal Article "New Jersey Unveils Mediation Plan For Sandy-Related Coverage Claims"
- "New Jersey Unveils Mediation Plan For Sandy-Related Coverage Claims"
- Michael J. Canning Publishes "Business Insurance Coverage in the Event of a 'Superstorm'" in the Architects' League of Northern NJ's Leagueline
- Insurance Coverage For Superstorm Sandy Claims
- 22 Lawyers from Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Selected For Inclusion In The Best Lawyers in America
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Attorneys Selected As 2012 New Jersey Super Lawyers And Rising Stars
- GH&C's Commercial Litigation Department Successful Representation Report: February 2012
- 20 Lawyers from Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America
- Insurance Coverage for Junk Faxes Is Question for Jury, Appeals Court Says
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Attorneys Selected As 2011 New Jersey Super Lawyers And Rising Stars
- Can my company recover its legal fees if we win a lawsuit that we file or if we successfully defend a lawsuit in which we are sued?
- Michael J. Canning Highlighted in Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition
- 18 Lawyers from Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America ®
- Michael J. Canning and Patrick S. Convery Named Members of Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Donald F. Campbell, Jr. Joins the Giordano Firm as Associate
- "Labor Commissioner Rules in Favor of Trucking Company on Owner Operator Issue," The Litigation Landscape Blog, December 18, 2017
- State National Insurance Company v. County of Camden, 842 F. 3d 399 (3d Cir. 2016)
- Nuveen Municipal Trust v. WithumSmith+Brown, 692 F.3d 283 (3d Cir. 2012)
- Howard Wein, et al. v. Jack Morris
- Williams v. Kenney, 379 N.J. Super. 118 (App. Div. 2005)
- Newell v. Hudson, 376 N.J. Super. 29 (App. Div. 2005)
- Waterloov Gutter Protection Systems Co., Inc. v. Absolute Gutter Protection, LLC, 64 F. Supp. 2d 398 (D.N.J. 1999)
- Whalen v. Schoor, DePalma & Canger Group, Inc., 305 N.J. Super. 501 (App. Div. 1997)
- Federal Ins. Co. By and Through Associated Aviation Underwriter v. Purex Industries, Inc., 972 F. Supp. 2d 872 (D.N.J. 1997)
- Robertson v. Central Jersey Bank & Trust Company, 47 F. 3d 1268 (3d Cir. 1995)
- Gatto v. New Jersey Automobile Full Insurance Underwriting Association, 284 N.J. Super. 665 (App. Div. 1995)
- Aetna Insurance Company v. Trans American Trucking Service, Inc., 261 N.J. Super. 316 (App. Div. 1993)
- Trans American Trucking Service, Inc. v. Ruane, 273 N.J. Super. 130 (App. Div. 1994)
- Kuhn v. Spatial Design, 245 N.J. Super. 378 (App. Div. 1991)
- Patterson v. Monmouth Regional High School Board of Education, 222 N.J. Super. 448 (App. Div. 1987)
- "Business Insurance Coverage in the Event of a 'Superstorm,'" Leagueline, The Architects League of Northern New Jersey, 1Q 2013
- "Insurance Coverage For Superstorm Sandy Claims"
- "NJ Justices Won't Hear Challenge to $5.4M Junk Fax Ruling," Law 360, January 11, 2019
- "Insurer Can't Recoup $9M Payout for Drug Theft: 3rd Circ.," Law 360, December 6, 2017
- "Court Affirms Expert Needed for Proximate Cause in Legal Mal," New Jersey Law Journal, August 4, 2017
- "Truck Stop Asks 3rd Circ. To End $9M Drug Theft Dispute," Law 360, March 9, 2017
- "3rd Circ. Axes Appeal In NJ County Atty Malpractice Complaint," Law 360, May 24, 2016
- "Split 3rd Circuit Denies Insurer's Bid to Reinstate Legal Mal Suit," New Jersey Law Journal, May 24, 2016
- "Transport Cos. Can't Sink AXA's Suit Over $9M Drug Theft," Law 360, December 23, 2015
- "GH&C Obtains Dismissal Of Claim For Specific Performance Of Claimed $45 Million Contract," GH&C Updates, December 24, 2015
- "Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Obtains Summary Judgment In $9 Million Inadequate Security Case," GH&C Updates, December 24, 2015
- "Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Co-Counsel on $5.4 Million Judgment in Insurance Coverage Case," August 19, 2015
- "Insurer Can't Revive Legal Mal Claim Against County Lawyer" New Jersey Law Journal, December 2, 2014
- "Fed. Courts Move to Speed Up Hurricane Sandy Litigation," New Jersey Law Journal, August 27, 2014
- "Affidavit of Merit Statute Applies to Fraud Claims Against Professionals," NJ Law Journal, May 19, 2014
- "GH&C Successfully Represents New Jersey Accounting Firm," May 19, 2014
- "Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla To Receive 2013 Pro-Bono Service Award By Volunteer Lawyers For Justice" GH&C News, August 12, 2013
- "New Jersey Unveils Mediation Plan For Sandy-Related Coverage Claims," NJ Law Journal, March 2013
- "Public Forum Held with Local Businesses"
- "NJLJ: Insurance Coverage for Junk Faxes Is Question For Jury, Appeals Court Says"