Justin, a shareholder in the Land Use & Development Practice Group, focuses his practice on matters associated with residential and commercial real estate including, but not limited to development, property purchase, sales, leasing, 1031 exchanges, Pilot Agreements and abatements, real property taxation, valuation, tax exemption and farmland assessment. He has experience with property taxation appeals including issues involving property valuation, classification, exemption and municipal law issues before County Boards, the Tax Court of New Jersey, the Appellate Division and Supreme Court of New Jersey and has appeared in Tax Court and before County Boards in contested tax and municipal litigation matters for trials, hearings, oral arguments, direct examination and cross examination.
- Land Use & Development Law
- Tax Appeals
- Real Estate
- Environmental - Land Use and Permitting
- Corporate & Business
- Land Use & Development
- Real Property Purchase & Sale
- Business Asset Purchase & Sale
- 1031 Exchange
- Municipal Property Taxation, Exemption, Assessment, Valuation
Other Professional and Personal InformationPrior to joining the firm, Justin served as an Associate at the Law Firm of Difrancesco, Bateman, Coley, Yospin Kunzman Davis & Lehrer focusing on tax appeal Litigation on behalf of twenty five municipalities throughout Monmouth, Union, Somerset, Middlesex, Ocean and Burlington Counties. He also served in the Tax Court of New Jersey as a law clerk to the Honorable Raymond A. Hayser, J.T.C. [Ret]. While in Law school, Justin served as a law clerk at the Roseland based firm Stern & Kilcullen focusing on securities fraud litigation.
- New Jersey
- New York
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D. (2007)
- Seton Hall University, B.S. (2004)
- Selected by New Jersey Super Lawyers® as a New Jersey Rising Star* in the fields of Real Estate, Land Use and Taxation, 2016-2020
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Attorneys Selected as 2021 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Names Commercial Leasing Shareholder and Real Property Tax, Affordable Housing Chairs
- Tax Appeal Filing Deadline Extension Due to COVID Emergency
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Attorneys Selected as 2020 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Attorneys Selected as 2019 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Attorneys Selected as 2017 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Names Four New Shareholders
- What Changes are in store for the Monmouth County Property Tax Appeal Process in 2014?
- Justin McCarthy Authors Legal Q&A On Changes to the 2014 Monmouth County Tax Appeal Process
- Justin McCarthy Authors Article, "Big Changes for Monmouth Property Tax Assessments"
- If my home or business was destroyed by Superstorm Sandy, am I entitled to any property tax relief?
- Potential Property Tax Relief for Properties Affected By Hurricane Sandy
- As the residential and commercial real estate markets stabilize, should property owners appeal their annual property assessment?
- GH&C Attorneys Obtain Two Favorable BPU Decisions For Their Client
- GH&C; Attorneys Obtain Two Favorable BPU Decisions For Their Client
- "'Fake Farmer's Law' To Have Real Impact On New Jersey's Farmers In 2014," GH&C Updates, July 2014
- "Tax Appeals For Construction Partially Completed and Straddling Tax Years," Dimensions, February/March 2014
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, September 2013
- "Big Changes For Monmouth Property Tax Assessments," GH&C Updates, July 30, 2013
- "Potential Property Tax Relief for Properties Affected By Hurricane Sandy," GH&C Updates, November 8, 2012
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, December 2012
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, September 2012