John is a shareholder in the Land Use & Development Law, and Affordable Housing practice areas of the firm. He represents property owners, investors, and commercial and residential developers in all aspects of real estate, focusing on development, redevelopment, and affordable housing matters.
John counsels clients in all phases of development and represents them in applications seeking development entitlements from municipal planning and zoning boards, county, and state agencies. He also prepares and negotiates developer's agreements, easements, resolutions, and assists with resolution compliance and permitting. If necessary, John also represents clients in litigation.
- Land Use & Development
- Real Estate, Redevelopment & Planned Real Estate Development
- Affordable Housing
- Adjunct Professor, Monmouth University's Leon Hess Business School, Department of Economics, Finance and Real Estate
- Member of the New Jersey Builders Association
- Member of the Board of Trustees, Ocean County Housing Alliance, Inc.
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Member of the Monmouth County Bar Association
- Member of the Shore Builders Association of Central New Jersey
- Affordable Housing Task Force
Other Professional and Personal InformationJohn served as the law clerk to the Honorable Michael A. Toto, J.S.C., Superior Court of New Jersey. Prior to practicing law, he was a manager at Deloitte & Touche's audit practice and holds a CPA.
- New Jersey
- New York
- Federal District Court, District of New Jersey
- Rutgers University School of Law - Newark, J.D. (2010)
- Villanova University, B.S. (2002, )
- Selected by Super Lawyers®* as a New Jersey Rising Star, 2019 - 2020
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Names Commercial Leasing Shareholder and Real Property Tax, Affordable Housing Chairs
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Attorneys Selected as 2020 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Attorneys Selected as 2019 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Court Establishes Affordable Housing Obligations for West Windsor and Princeton
- Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla Names John Sarto Shareholder
- GH&C Attorney Receives Approval for Builder to Develop Residential Building Lots in Jackson, NJ
- How is solar power being delivered to single site users and what is a Solar Power Purchase Agreement?
- John Sarto Authors Case Summary On Conditional Use Variances
- John A. Sarto Joins Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla, P.C. As Associates
- "Court Establishes Affordable Housing Obligations for West Windsor and Princeton, NJ Environmental Law Blog, March 9, 2018
- "Affordable Housing's Obligations and Opportunities," Legal/Legislative Update, Bulletin Board, Shore Builders Association of Central New Jersey, Volume 2 / 2017
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, April 2014
- "COAH's Third Round Rules Struck Down by New Jersey Supreme Court. Good for Builders?" NJ Environmental Law Blog, October 1, 2013
- "TSI East Brunswick, LLC v. Zoning Bd. of Adjustment of Twp. of East Brunswick, Clarifies Standard Of Proof Applicable To Negative Criteria For Conditional Use Variances " Gh&C Updates, July 30, 2013