- Corporate Labor Relations
- Employment Law and Litigation
Syracuse University College of Law
View as PDF
* PDF is Best Viewed with
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
the Latest Version of Acrobat
Jay S. Becker
Mr. Becker, chair of the Labor and Employment Practice Area, devotes his practice to labor relations and employment law and litigation on behalf of management. His experience includes conducting trials, hearings, arbitration and mediation sessions; responding to state and federal administrative agency charges; collective bargaining; drafting employment-related corporate documents such as restrictive covenants, employee handbooks, employment agreements, various stock and compensation plans, and separation/severance agreements. He counsels employers on all employee relations issues including, but not limited to discrimination, hiring, terminations, reductions in force, whistle-blowing, diversity, wage and hour claims, breach of contract, tortious interference claims and employee benefits issues. Mr. Becker is also the co-author of the New Jersey Labor and Employment Law Blog, which is dedicated to provide news and updates regarding all labor and employment matters throughout New Jersey.
- "DOL Final Overtime Rule Postponed," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, November 23, 2016
- "Federal Overtime Laws Broadened, Benefiting Millions of Workers," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, May 18, 2016
- "Legalization of Marijuana Raises Significant Questions and Issues for Employers," NJ Lawyer Magazine, December 2014
- "Employers Beware: New Jersey Implements New Law Governing Criminal Background Checks For Job Candidates Effective March15, 2015," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, August 14, 2014
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, September 2014
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, August 2014
- "Are College Athletes Students or Employees?" NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, July 11, 2014
- "GH&C Prevails In Dismissing Former Employee's Complaint Alleging Age Discrimination And Workers' Compensation Retaliation," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, September 26, 2013
- "Point: White v. Starbucks: Doing One's Job is Not Whistle-Blowing," NJ Labor & Employment Law Quarterly, May 11, 2012
- "A Review of the ADAAA Regulations", NJ Labor & Employment Law Quarterly
- "Alexander v. Seton Hall University: Refusal To Depart From Precedent Aligns The New Jersey Law Against Discrimination With The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act Of 2009 "
- Roa V. Lafe: Post-Employment Retaliation Claims And The Continuing Violation Theory
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, August, 2010
- "The Affirmative Negative Obligation"
- "Retaliation Actions Under Title VII, CEPA and LAD"
- "New Jersey Supreme Court Holds That Contract Employee May be Discharged for Subjective Reasons"
- "Direct Threats Under the ADA," GH&C Alerts, July 2001
- "NJ Goes Its Own Way on Mandatory Arbitration Clauses in Employment Agreements"
- Member of the New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member of the Society for Human Resource Management
- Board Member, Central New Jersey Syracuse University Alumni Club
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell for Labor & Employment, Health Care, and Corporate Law
- Ranked in Chambers USA under Labor & Employment Law
Other Professional and Personal Information
Mr. Becker has appeared as a guest speaker/lecturer at numerous labor and employment law related seminars in various states, and has authored a number of labor and employment law related articles, many of which appeared in nationally circulated publications. He is often quoted/cited in the Asbury Park Press.
- "Hot Topics In Employment Law" sponsored by the New Jersey Association For Corporate Growth, October 23, 2013
- "Avoiding the Wage and Hour Trap," sponsored by the New Jersey Business and Industry Association, February 24, 2012
- "When Cancer Affects an Employee," sponsored by the American Cancer Society, March 8, 2007
- "Current Events," JSAHR Legal Seminar, sponsored by the Jersey Shore Association for Human Resources, November 20, 2003
- "Discrimination and Harassment in the Workplace," JSAHR Employment Law Seminar, sponsored by the Jersey Shore Association for Human Resources, November 7, 2002
- "Human Resources and the Law," October 27, 2002
- "Personnel Law Update," sponsored by the Council on Education in Management, October 1-2, 1998