Jay, chair of the Labor and Employment Practice Area, devotes his practice to labor relations and employment law and litigation on behalf of management. His experience includes conducting trials, hearings, arbitration and mediation sessions; responding to state and federal administrative agency charges; collective bargaining; drafting employment-related corporate documents such as restrictive covenants, employee handbooks, employment agreements, various stock and compensation plans, and separation/severance agreements. He counsels employers on all employee relations issues including, but not limited to discrimination, hiring, terminations, reductions in force, whistle-blowing, diversity, wage and hour claims, breach of contract, tortious interference claims and employee benefits issues. Jay is also the co-author of the New Jersey Labor and Employment Law Blog, which is dedicated to providing news and updates regarding all labor and employment matters throughout New Jersey.
- Corporate Labor Relations
- Employment Law and Litigation
- Member of the New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member of the Society for Human Resource Management
- Board Member, Central New Jersey Syracuse University Alumni Club
Other Professional and Personal Information
Jay has appeared as a guest speaker/lecturer at numerous labor and employment law related seminars in various states, and has authored a number of labor and employment law related articles, many of which appeared in nationally circulated publications. He is often quoted/cited in the Asbury Park Press
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D. (1989)
- Syracuse University, B.A. (1986)
- Voted a Monmouth County Top Lawyer, Monmouth Health & Life, 2018
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell for Labor & Employment, Health Care, and Corporate Law
- Ranked in Chambers USA under Labor & Employment Law
- New Jersey's Friendly Paid Family Leave Law Just Got a Whole Lot Friendlier
- GH&C Labor and Employment Law Team of Ari Burd and Jay Becker Win Summary Judgment in Two Employment Cases Headed to Trial
- DOL Final Overtime Rule Postponed
- Does paid time off count for overtime calculation purposes?
- Players on the Northwestern University football team recently filed petition with the National Labor Relations Board to organize for collective bargaining purposes. Are college athletes' students or e
- Jay Becker To Present "Hot Topics In Employment Law" At The ACG Member Forum Meeting On October 23, 2013
- Sixteen Giordano Attorneys Ranked in 2013 Chambers USA
- Point: White v. Starbucks: Doing One's Job is Not Whistle-Blowing
- Sixteen Giordano Attorneys Ranked in Chambers USA
- Fifteen Giordano Attorneys Ranked in Chambers USA
- "'Alexander V. Seton Hall University': Refusal To Depart From Precedent Aligns The New Jersey Law Against Discrimination With The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act Of 2009"
- "'Roa V. Lafe': Post-Employment Retaliation Claims And The Continuing Violation Theory"
- Can a public employer search an employee's text messages?
- Is a New Jersey employer legally required to pay a terminated employee the value of any accrued yet unused vacation time?
- "Higher and Higher?"
- Do The Provisions in the 2009 Stimulus Package Apply to Small Employers in New Jersey?
- Do New Jersey employer's need to reasonably accommodate the use of medical marijuana?
- New Jersey Employment Law Update
- Fair Warning? A New State Law May Have Businesses Running to Their Lawyers
- Picking up the Pieces
- Circuit City: Firing Line
- Retaliation Actions Under Title VII, CEPA and LAD
- NJ Goes Its Own Way on Mandatory Arbitration Clauses in Employment Agreements
- Direct Threats Under the ADA
- "EMPLOYERS BEWARE: Asking an Applicant the Wrong Question During an Interview May Cost You!" NJ Labor & Employment Law, July 29, 2019
- "EMPLOYER ALERT: In New Jersey's Latest Medical Marijuana in the Workplace Ruling, Employers Must Consider All applicabale Employment Laws, Not Just the Most Obvious One," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, March 28, 2019
- "New Jersey's Friendly Paid Family Leave Law Just Got a Whole Lot Friendlier!: NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, February 22, 2019
- "Much to the Satisfaction of Employers across the State, Governor Christie Vetoes 2 Employment Law Bills," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, August 16, 2017
- "DOL Final Overtime Rule Postponed," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, November 23, 2016
- "Federal Overtime Laws Broadened, Benefiting Millions of Workers," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, May 18, 2016
- "Legalization of Marijuana Raises Significant Questions and Issues for Employers," NJ Lawyer Magazine, December 2014
- "Employers Beware: New Jersey Implements New Law Governing Criminal Background Checks For Job Candidates Effective March15, 2015," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, August 14, 2014
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, September 2014
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, August 2014
- "Are College Athletes Students or Employees?" NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, July 11, 2014
- "GH&C Prevails In Dismissing Former Employee's Complaint Alleging Age Discrimination And Workers' Compensation Retaliation," NJ Labor & Employment Law Blog, September 26, 2013
- "Point: White v. Starbucks: Doing One's Job is Not Whistle-Blowing," NJ Labor & Employment Law Quarterly, May 11, 2012
- "A Review of the ADAAA Regulations", NJ Labor & Employment Law Quarterly
- "Alexander v. Seton Hall University: Refusal To Depart From Precedent Aligns The New Jersey Law Against Discrimination With The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act Of 2009 "
- Roa V. Lafe: Post-Employment Retaliation Claims And The Continuing Violation Theory
- "Legal Q&A," New Jersey Tech News, August, 2010
- "The Affirmative Negative Obligation"
- "Retaliation Actions Under Title VII, CEPA and LAD"
- "New Jersey Supreme Court Holds That Contract Employee May be Discharged for Subjective Reasons"
- "Direct Threats Under the ADA," GH&C Alerts, July 2001
- "NJ Goes Its Own Way on Mandatory Arbitration Clauses in Employment Agreements"
- "Higher and Higher?,"New Jersey & Company, June 1, 2010
- "Legal Q & A" New Jersey Tech News
- "Fair Warning? A New State Law May Have Businesses Running to their Lawyers" NJ & Company
- "Firing Line" Asbury Park Press
- "When Cancer Strikes" Asbury Park Press
- "Work Related Woes?" Asbury Park Press
- "Cancer in the Workplace" NJ Biz
- "Hot Topics In Employment Law" sponsored by the New Jersey Association For Corporate Growth, October 23, 2013
- "Avoiding the Wage and Hour Trap," sponsored by the New Jersey Business and Industry Association, February 24, 2012
- "When Cancer Affects an Employee," sponsored by the American Cancer Society, March 8, 2007
- "Current Events," JSAHR Legal Seminar, sponsored by the Jersey Shore Association for Human Resources, November 20, 2003
- "Discrimination and Harassment in the Workplace," JSAHR Employment Law Seminar, sponsored by the Jersey Shore Association for Human Resources, November 7, 2002
- "Human Resources and the Law," October 27, 2002
- "Personnel Law Update," sponsored by the Council on Education in Management, October 1-2, 1998